What is CCNA?
CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate) is a popular, highly sought after IT certification developed by Cisco Systems.
A CCNA Routing and Switching certification can help you get your first networking job or get help with your career progression if you currently work in Information Technology (IT).
Why become CCNA certified in 2019?
- Do you have an interest in computer networking?
- Do you want to work in the networking field?
If you answered "yes" to either of these questions, then you should consider studying to become CCNA certified.
What will you learn?
- You’ll develop a complete understanding of computer networking and internetworking
- You’ll learn how to configure and troubleshoot Cisco devices
How do you become a CCNA?
How you prepare for CCNA depends largely on your current knowledge and experience of networking. Here are some options for you to consider.
- Buy a Cisco study guide and some second-hand routers to practice on (optional)
- Attend a Cisco boot camp or instructor-led course (optional)
- Join a Cisco Academy (optional)
- Sign up to our CCNA Bootcamp free trial introducing you to networking and the CCNA (optional)
- Locate a local test center
- Either take one written exam (CCNAX) or two written exams (ICND1 and ICND2) both will lead to a CCNA certification
What types of jobs can I get with a CCNA?
- Network (Systems) Engineer
- Network Administrator
- Network Programmer/Analyst
- Network/Information Systems Manager
- Network (Service) Technician
More information on networking jobs.
CCNA Exam Facts
- The CCNA exam varies between 55-60 questions
- The CCNA exam lasts between 75-90 minutes depending on the questions
- The CCNA exam pass mark is about 85%
- Questions can either be:
- Multiple-choice single answer
- Multiple-choice multiple answer
- Router simulations
- Fill-in the blanks
- Once you’ve answered a question and moved on you can’t go back and change your answer
- You’ll know whether you have passed or failed at the end of the exam, your results will be sent to Cisco and you’ll receive a certificate in the post
- The CCNA certification is valid for three years, to recertify you’ll need to pass the current CCNA exam or the ICND2, or an associate level exam such as CCNA Wireless, CCNA Collaboration or CCNA Security or the CCNP (Cisco Certified Networking Professional) certification
CCNA Exam Tips
- Arrive early and relax
- Read through our CCNA cheat sheet and your revision notes prior to the exam
- Read each question carefully to make sure you understand what is being asked
- Read through all the answers to make sure you choose the correct one. Use a process of elimination to if you need to make an educated guess
- If there appears to be more than one correct answer and you need to choose a single correct answer, choose the option that Cisco recommends